Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last few months you’ll know that in just a few days, on 25th May, the new EU GDPR legislation will take effect. Any failure to comply could land you in hot water, with hefty fines of up to €20m or 4% of global turnover.
What’s the issue with file sharing and GDPR?
Sending data via consumer-grade file sharing platforms or by email is simply not secure enough. Nevertheless, this is still how many end users share CVs, payroll data and other personally identifiable information.
Under the new GDPR legislation, this would be a breach due to the lack of appropriate security. It opens up a real risk that data will fall into the wrong hands, leading to embarrassment for your company and costly legal repercussions, before potential fines are taken into account.
How to mitigate the risks
You can mitigate the risk of security breaches by providing a simple and secure way for users to transfer sensitive files. One that ensures high levels of end-user acceptance, so they won’t be encouraged to use less secure methods of transferring files.
A secure, third-party solution provides GDPR compliance without the overheads of procuring, configuring and managing in-house systems along with the associated capital expenditure, maintenance or support requirements.
Maytech’s secure, cost-effective file sharing solution
Customers across 60 industries and 35 countries trust Maytech to provide a secure file transfer service.
Key security features include:
- Data residency at a named location so you can be confident where your files are physically stored at all times
- Centralised administration for easy management and monitoring of file sharing. Quickly add or revoke rights and monitor activity within your network
- Audit trails to prove whether a file was or was not accessed, when and by which login
- Secure access to files over secure connections (HTTPS and SFTP) with options for 2-factor authentication and PGP encryption
- Reduced attack surface at network edges by only opening up a single port for external file sharing and running up to date anti-virus for 40,000+ known exploits
- ISO 27001 certified and audited annually by Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance
- Integrations for existing systems including automated applications or bespoke software
Additionally, Maytech provides a Data Protection Agreement for both parties to sign which stipulates our responsibilities under the GDPR (for further details about this please see our GDPR file sharing guide).
A smart, intuitive, turn-key solution
Quatrix by Maytech offers a per-user licenced SaaS product with competitive volume licensing options, an Outlook plugin, secure customer file acquisition and secure online file management portal.
If you want to find out more about how Maytech can help you become GDPR compliant, we’re currently offering a 14-Day Free Trial of Quatrix so you can test-drive it and see whether it provides what you require.